Nutrition Entrepreneurs (NE) proudly applauds its members receiving these distinguished Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and Nutrition Entrepreneur dietetic practice group Awards. Congratulations!
2015 Outstanding Nutrition Entrepreneur Award Winner
Angela Grassi, MS, RDN, LDN
Angela Grassi, MS, RDN, LDN is the founder of the PCOS Nutrition Center where she has provided evidence-based nutrition information and counseling to thousands of women with PCOS around the world.
Recognized by Today’s Dietitian as one of the Top 10 Incredible Dietitians Making a Difference, Angela has been sought after by some of America’s top media outlets and has been a featured speaker at numerous conferences for professionals and consumers. In addition to being the PCOS expert for About.com, Angela has authored several books including the bestselling The PCOS Workbook, PCOS: The Dietitian’s Guide, and The PCOS Nutrition Center Cookbook.
Having PCOS herself, Angela has been dedicated to advocacy, education, and research of the syndrome.
2015 Professional Development Dietetic Student Award Winner
Kristina Todini is dietetic intern at Napa State Hospital in Napa, CA and recently graduated Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in dietetics from San Francisco State University. She is active in dietetics associations locally and nationally; she serves as a Legislative Ambassador and Student Mentee to the Education Council of the California Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, a board member of the Bay Area Dietetic Association, and a Student Liaison with the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics. Kristina is also an avid traveler and has volunteered internationally in Peru, Chile, and Brazil.
Kristina’s entrepreneurial spirit and interest in writing led her to create the Nutrition Entrepreneur’s (NE) student newsletter, The NEtwork, a quarterly publication featuring articles written by and for NE’s student members. Her interests include the translation of nutrition information for the public, food policy and justice, and global health. She believes in the power of peer connection and is excited that Nutrition Entrepreneurs has given her the unique opportunity to be a voice of inspiration and motivation for its student members.
2014 Outstanding Nutrition Entrepreneur Award Winner
Kate Geagan MS, RDN
Kate is an award-winning dietitian who has helped millions fall in love with food that powers a vibrant, high energy life. Called “a global thought leader in her field” , She is an internationally known author, speaker, consultant and nutrition communications expert as well as a spokesperson for several global brands in the organic and natural space.
A sought after nutrition expert by some of America’s top television and media outlets, Kate has appeared nearly 20 times on the Emmy Award Winning The Dr. Oz Show, and has shared her expertise on Access Hollywood, Katie Couric and more. She currently serves as a Medical Advisory Board Member and expert blogger for the Dr. Oz Show, as well as a member of the Advisory Board for Kiwi Magazine.
A proud parent to two young children, Kate is fiercely passionate about enabling families to discover simple, sound, and sane strategies that make better food within their reach. And she’s on a mission to empower fellow moms to change the food system from the ground up—through choosing delicious, easy foods that feed their families right.
2014 Professional Development Dietetic Student Award Winner
Livia is a dietitian trained in Brazil. She is working on becoming a RD in the US and acquiring her MS degree. She is fluent in Portuguese and English, and contributes to nutrition related sites in both languages.
Her goal is to work with wellness. She has noted through her experiences that, with the epidemic of lifestyle-related chronic illnesses, the healthcare system lacks more patient-centered and prevention approaches, and whole food treatment strategies. Livia believes that looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors can influence long-term health. In addition, Livia also wants to work with fitness and help recreational weight lifters achieve their nutritional goals.
Academy National Awards & Past National Award Winners
Recognizing outstanding registered dietitians and dietetic technicians, registered, who have demonstrated innovation, creativity, and leadership in a specific area of practice
Excellence in Practice Awards:
- Consultation and Business Practice
- Management Practice
Academy 2011 Excellence in Practice Consultation & Business Practice Award Winner
Faye Berger Mitchell, RDN, LDN
You will need Acrobat Reader to view this PDF file.
Award Nomination Form
NE presents a $1000 award annually to a member demonstrating originality and dedication to entrepreneurship in nutrition. The online application form is available in the members area. You can also nominate someone you know or yourself - make your talents known to NE!
Please complete the Online Nomination Form (in members area).
Academy Foundation Awards
Members of the Nutrition Entrepreneurs (NE) DPG may apply for any of the respective awards below. Applications are available through the Academy Foundation. Applications must be submitted electronically to Amy Donatell by February 1st, 2014. Any questions may be directed to Amy Donatell at: (800) 877-1600, ext. 4767.
Continuing Education Awards:
- Barbara Ann F. Hughes - NEP DPG Continuing Education Award - This award was established to provide educational stipends for nutrition professionals on the subjects of policy initiatives, advocacy and/or private practice. Preference will be given to members of Nutrition Education for the Public (NEP) DPG. Award amount: $1000
- CDR Leadership Grant - The purpose of this grant is to provide financial support to registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) and dietetic technicians (DTRs) to obtain leadership training. The training programs should prepare individuals to move into leadership positions within their organization.
- Grace L. Ostenso Nutrition and Public Policy Fellowship - The Grace L. Ostenso Nutrition and Public Policy Fellowship is intended to allow an Academy member to participate in the Congressional Science and Engineering Fellows Program, which is coordinated by the American Association for the Advancement of Science. The fellowship participant will spend one year in Washington, DC working as a special assistant in a government or legislative position that would benefit from scientific and engineering input. The Academy is an AAAS partner in this fellowship program along with 30 other scientific and engineering societies that also have participating fellows.
- Karen Lechowich Continuing Education Award - This award is given to assist new Academy members (less than five years) to attend the Annual Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®). Up to two awards may be given each year. Award amount: Up to $500
- Marianne Smith Edge Award - The Marianne Smith Edge Award provides funding for a member RDN (practicing less than ten years) working in the consultation / business area to attend the Academy's Leadership Institute. Award amount: Varies annually.
- Rebecca Snowball Reeves Continuing Education Award - The Rebecca Snowball Reeves Continuing Education Award provides educational stipends for dietetics professionals working in the area of obesity. Award amount: $1000
- Susan T. Borra Fellowship in Nutrition Communication - This award is given to help deserving individuals enhance their capabilities in the area of nutrition communication in leading universities, public health organizations and professional societies. Award amount: $5000
- Abbott Nutrition Award in Women's Health - This award is given to recognize dietitians who make significant contributions to the importance of nutrition in women's health. Contributions may be in the areas of research, education or service. Award amount: $1000
- Margene Wagstaff Fellowship for Innovation in Dietetics Education - This award is given to recognize individuals who inspire entry-level dietetic professionals to pursue professional values. Award amount: Up to $3000
- Mary Abbott Hess Award for Recognition of an Innovative Food/Culinary Effort - This award is given to encourage dietetics professionals to make original and innovative efforts in food and culinary education. Award amount: $1000
- Anita Owen Award of Recognition for Innovative Nutrition Education - This award is given to encourage development of and recognize excellence in innovative and unique models for dietetics information and/or innovative services for delivery of nutrition education to the public. Award amount: $1000