Nutrition Entrepreneurs (NE) proudly applauds its members receiving these distinguished Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and Nutrition Entrepreneur Dietetic Practice Group awards. Congratulations!
2016 Outstanding Nutrition Entrepreneur Award Winner
Faye Berger Mitchell, RDN, LDN
Faye Berger Mitchell has been in private practice in the Washington, DC metro area for over 25 years and was named one of DC’s top nutritionists by Washingtonian Magazine. The original private practice guru, she shares her knowledge and expertise with colleagues through workshops, private coaching and consultations, her Be Your Own Boss Starter Kit, and the publication she co-authored titled Making Nutrition Your Business – Private Practice and Beyond.
More recently, Faye launched FoodieOnCampus.com, an e-magazine to help college students take the guesswork out of college eating. Delivering positively delicious expert advice, Foodie On Campus is the food guide for conscious college students. More than anything, Faye loves mentoring students by offering internship opportunities through Foodie On Campus.
Faye has been a speaker at many state and regional dietetic association meetings and has presented at multiple FNCE sessions. A guest lecturer at several colleges and universities, Faye was selected to give the Dorothy M. Proud lecture at Cornell University.
2016 Professional Development Student Award Winner
Tara Condell is a dietetic intern at James J. Peters VA Medical Center and completing her Masters of Science in Clinical Nutrition from New York University. She was a contributor to NE's student newsletter, was the former president of San Francisco State University's Student Dietetic Association, and has been the recipient of numerous scholarships, including the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics Irene Jones Scholarship.
Tara comes from a family of entrepreneurs and started her journey when she created a restaurant blog detailing her dining escapades in San Francisco. The site quickly gained momentum, and she was able to secure sponsorships and attend experiences with local and international Michelin chefs. Tara's future goals include consulting for restaurants and the food industry, and counseling individuals with weight management and GI disorders once obtaining her RDN credential.
Academy National Awards & Past National Award Winners
Recognizing outstanding registered dietitians and dietetic technicians, registered, who have demonstrated innovation, creativity, and leadership in a specific area of practice
Academy 2016 Media Excellence Award Winner
This award acknowledges Melissa Joy Dobbins, MS, RDN, LDN, CDE, for her significant contributions to the nutrition profession. With more than 20 years of extensive media experience, Dobbins has been a spokesperson for healthcare, grocery and food industries. She is a former spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and a state media representative for Illinois. As the CEO of Sound Bites, Inc., Dobbins promotes “sound science, smart nutrition and good food,” helping people make health decisions based on facts, not fear. Dobbins has been praised for her media training workshops that empower and support other dietitians so they can enhance their careers, promote the dietetics profession and provide information to the public that is credible, engaging and actionable. Her “Sound Science Toolkit” helps dietitians communicate evidence-based information, and her Sound Bites Podcast interviews dietitians and other health experts about the science, psychology and strategies behind good food and nutrition.
Academy 2016 Consultation and Business Practice Award Winner
You will need Acrobat Reader to view this PDF file.
Award Nomination Form
NE presents a $1000 award annually to a member demonstrating originality and dedication to entrepreneurship in nutrition. The online application form is available in the members area. You can also nominate someone you know or yourself - make your talents known to NE!
Please complete the Online Nomination Form (in members area).
Academy Foundation Awards
Members of the Nutrition Entrepreneurs (NE) DPG may apply for any of the respective awards below. Applications are available through the Academy Foundation. Applications must be submitted electronically to Amy Donatell by February 1st, 2014. Any questions may be directed to Amy Donatell at: (800) 877-1600, ext. 4767.
Continuing Education Awards:
- Barbara Ann F. Hughes - NEP DPG Continuing Education Award - This award was established to provide educational stipends for nutrition professionals on the subjects of policy initiatives, advocacy and/or private practice. Preference will be given to members of Nutrition Education for the Public (NEP) DPG. Award amount: $1000
- CDR Leadership Grant - The purpose of this grant is to provide financial support to registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) and dietetic technicians (DTRs) to obtain leadership training. The training programs should prepare individuals to move into leadership positions within their organization.
- Grace L. Ostenso Nutrition and Public Policy Fellowship - The Grace L. Ostenso Nutrition and Public Policy Fellowship is intended to allow an Academy member to participate in the Congressional Science and Engineering Fellows Program, which is coordinated by the American Association for the Advancement of Science. The fellowship participant will spend one year in Washington, DC working as a special assistant in a government or legislative position that would benefit from scientific and engineering input. The Academy is an AAAS partner in this fellowship program along with 30 other scientific and engineering societies that also have participating fellows.
- Karen Lechowich Continuing Education Award - This award is given to assist new Academy members (less than five years) to attend the Annual Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®). Up to two awards may be given each year. Award amount: Up to $500
- Marianne Smith Edge Award - The Marianne Smith Edge Award provides funding for a member RDN (practicing less than ten years) working in the consultation / business area to attend the Academy's Leadership Institute. Award amount: Varies annually.
- Rebecca Snowball Reeves Continuing Education Award - The Rebecca Snowball Reeves Continuing Education Award provides educational stipends for dietetics professionals working in the area of obesity. Award amount: $1000
- Susan T. Borra Fellowship in Nutrition Communication - This award is given to help deserving individuals enhance their capabilities in the area of nutrition communication in leading universities, public health organizations and professional societies. Award amount: $5000
- Abbott Nutrition Award in Women's Health - This award is given to recognize dietitians who make significant contributions to the importance of nutrition in women's health. Contributions may be in the areas of research, education or service. Award amount: $1000
- Margene Wagstaff Fellowship for Innovation in Dietetics Education - This award is given to recognize individuals who inspire entry-level dietetic professionals to pursue professional values. Award amount: Up to $3000
- Mary Abbott Hess Award for Recognition of an Innovative Food/Culinary Effort - This award is given to encourage dietetics professionals to make original and innovative efforts in food and culinary education. Award amount: $1000
- Anita Owen Award of Recognition for Innovative Nutrition Education - This award is given to encourage development of and recognize excellence in innovative and unique models for dietetics information and/or innovative services for delivery of nutrition education to the public. Award amount: $1000