Tip of the Month
Welcome to the Nutrition Entrepreneurs Tip of the Month
- Getting started: go to Contactingthecongress.org. Type in your address, and Voila, the names and contact information for your members of congress appears.
- Knowing your stuff: although nutrition is bipartisan, being familiar with your members of congress is helpful in making a connection, making an impression and helping to engage support.
- Sharing your passion: You are the Nutrition Expert. Not all people know what a tremendous benefit registered dietitian nutritionists (RDN) provide, you are the best source of this information for lawmakers.
- Identify the public policy issues that impact the Nutrition Entrepreneur. An amazing wealth of information on the issues is available at EatRightPro.org/Advocacy.
- Take action. Participate in Action Alerts. The sad truth is that less than 4% of NE members participate in Action Alerts related to legislation that impacts your practice.
- “Ours is not a government of the majority. It is a government of the majority who participate.” -Thomas Jefferson.
- If WE say nothing about what RDNs need from nutrition policy, that is what our lawmakers will hear … NOTHING.
- Not just a seat at the table: Setting The Table! Can you imagine if every RDN contacted their members of congress to ask for their support for the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act? Increased reimbursement for RDN services would be a reality.
- Engaging your member of congress. Write them a letter, send them a fax, send them an email. Visit their offices in Washington DC or in their district.
- All politic is local and personal. A Politician's success is directly tied to their ability to understand and influence the issues of their constituents.
NE Policy and Advocacy Leader
Lisa Nelson RD Detail Project Management.
Carrie Mark, MA, RDN, LD
Incoming Sponsorship Chair
Every month we are inundated with a plethora of monthly themes. Unfortunately, none of us have the time or energy to recognize and celebrate all of them. However, this month was one I thought we all could benefit from…humor. April is National Humor Month and the tip of the month is to incorporate more humor in our daily lives. The health benefits of humor have been linked to helping to boost energy, decrease pain, strengthen the immune system, and help protect from the damaging effects of stress. To quote the wise words of Bob Newhart, “Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on”. After all, laughter really is the best medicine!
Tip of the Month: April 2015
Lisa Jones, MA, RDN, LDN, FAND
Bite into a healthy lifestyle during this National Nutrition Month! Take this month to not only promote tips on how to live a healthy lifestyle with your clients, but use it for your own goals too! This is a perfect time to reevaluate your 2015 goals, celebrate progress and set new goals for the next 3 months. Don’t forget to celebrate National RD Day, our day, on March 11.
Jackie H Sharp, MS, RD, LD, ACSM-HFS
Director of Membership Services, Nutrition Entrepreneurs